Barak Engel is the originator of the Virtual CISO concept and has led cybersecurity for dozens of companies, including StubHub. He is the author of The Security Hippie, and his selected readings from his book during his appearance in the CISO Sandbox beautifully illuminated the human side of Incident Response, Risk Management and, of course, Awareness. Though not a Hoxhunt user himself, he is familiar with our platform and had some very positive things to say about Hoxhunt and our positive approach to security awareness.
Barak is a heck of a story teller. In his CISO Sandbox appearance, the stories he shared from his book, The Security Hippie (Routledge) were carefully selected for their relevance to today's hottest topics, including: Incident response, risk management, compliance, and awareness. And what is the common element connecting it all together? People!
Although he's not a Hoxhunt customer himself, his insights into effective awareness programs were pure gold. And guess what: he likes Hoxhunt!
Check out 22:31 - 27:21 and learn why traditional awareness is actually making things worse; and why Hoxhunt is turning that around!
- Most awareness "solutions" makes people hate security, but I do like what you guys at Hoxhunt do: 23:00 - 24:16
- Punishment-based security awareness is a prescription for failure: 22:31 - 24:16
- Science says, be people-forward and positive, not negative: 24:28 - 25:30
- I like Hoxhunt because it’s positive! 25:41 - 26:09
More expert interviews
- CISO Executive Primer, with Bill Bonnie, Gary Hayslip, and Matt Stamper
- Analyst and author of Security Yearbook, Richard Stiennon talks cyberwar and the cybersecurity industry
- George Finney, award-winning CISO and author of Well Aware
- Dan Lohrmann: Cyber Mayday and leadership & incident response
- Barak Engel: From Virtual CISO To The Security Hippie
- Interview: Virtual CISO, Barak Engel, Part II
- Webinar With Garrett Cook and Michael Barone From G2
- Mastering the Management of Cybersecurity Risk, with David X Martin
- CISO: From Business Blocker Nerd To Rockstar Enabler
- Key Takeaways From Hoxhunt Webinar with Dr. Rebecca Wynn
- Key Takeaways: The Security Leader's Communication Playbook
- Women in Cybersecurity: It’s time to get more diverse
- Webinar with Kevin DeLange, CISO at IGT
- Ten key learnings from the webinar with IGT CISO Kevin DeLange
- Prof. Shoemaker: Integrating Cybersecurity & The C-Suite
- Prof. Dr. Andreas Heinemann: The Corporate Phishing Threat